Friday, May 8, 2009

A ban on the trade in seal products

That's it - we got there. We voted on Tuesday to amend legislative proposals from the European Commission to ensure a ban on the trade in seal products within the European Union. Despite an attempt by the Liberal Democrat rapporteur to drastically weaken the proposals and require a mere labelling scheme, I'm delighted that Labour MEPs held firm to ensure a complete ban on trade in seal products, with only very limited exceptions for subsistence purposes for Inuit populations.

This law will ensure there is no European market for these products and will put an end to the slaughter of hundreds of thousands of seals every year.

1 comment:

  1. Thank goodness that there is something on this blog that makes me want to vote for you!

    I am one of you constituents who plans on voting on the 4th June, I visit this site all the time to see what you are doing for me and my fellow citizens.

    I have commented on a few issues that I think are relevant to me and the party I support.

    I would like to say congrats on the new legislation.

    However what about the black market, I feel its a bit premature to be quite so happy, seals are still going to be slaughtered for sport and indeed food, even if they don't go into products to be sold on the open EU market

    But thank you and congrats.

    Gary Steel

    ReplyDelete